Sunday, February 7, 2010

food superstars

hi all,


i created a cheat-sheet of food superstars that i don't eat as much as i should for my fridge, so i am encouraged to eat/shop healthier. (by no means is the list exhaustive.)

i try to incorporate several of the items in my diet everyday. it's easy to! for example, i throw in a a clove of finely minced garlic and a touch of turmeric in my eggs. you could also toss in flax seeds and honey into your oatmeal.

food superstars:

produce: nuts/grains:
- pears - steel cut oats
- apples - barley
- garlic (1 clove daily) - flax seed
- pomegranate - brown rice
- blueberries - almonds
- kiwi - lentils
- red grapefruit - quinoa
- beets - red kidney beans
- cabbage - edamame
- swiss chard
- blueberries
- spinach
- seasonal squash

omega 3's: misc:
- wild caught fish - unsweetened apple butter
- sardines - pumpkin seeds
- avocado - green tea
- prunes
spices: - raw, local honey
- cinnamon
- turmeric

any smart ideas on how to incorporate pumpkin seeds or sardines into your normal diet?


3 comments:

Erin said...

I sometimes throw pumpkin seeds in with my granola in the morning. Also, I have been known to incorporate them into a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps not as healthy, but it's pretty good.

Mariam Ahmed said...

cranberries and prunes! super yummy and super healthy

Kylie said...

Hi Julia. I just noticed you commented on my blog over a month ago. I was taking a blog break, but I wanted to make sure I answered your question. The dimensions of the rectangle that goes on the floor where the baby lays is 26.5 x 33 inches including the connectors. The vertical part is about 18.5 inches. Good luck!